- This event has passed.
Deconstructing Racism in the Church
July 17, 2023 - July 19, 2023
Modern Church Conference
‘In a world where people are excluded because of their ethnic background, their sexual orientation, their gender…I believe that we are called to show God’s love for all people. It is a calling that Christian people have always struggled with, but we can and should be better at making God’s love a reality in the Church – overcoming the systemic discrimination that exists.’ (Sonia Hicks, Chair, 2023 Modern Church Conference)
In February 2020 the Archbishop of Canterbury apologised for the racism experienced by black and minority ethnic people in the Church of England since the arrival of the Windrush Generation. He also said that there is ‘no doubt’ that the Church of England is still ‘deeply institutionally racist’.
This Modern Church conference will explore the historical context of colonialism and its impact on our belief systems; contemporary challenges to power imbalances in theology and practice; representation of diversity in
the structures of our life and faith; creative approaches to vocations, doing theology, and performing liturgy.
- The Revd Yin-An Chen, Curate in Lichfield Diocese, author of ‘Toward a Micro-Political Theology’
- The Very Revd Rogers Govender, Dean of Manchester Cathedral
- The Rt Revd Rosemarie Mallet, Bishop of Croydon
- The Revd Dr Raj Patta, Methodist/Lutheran, working in Stockport, author of ‘Dalitekklesia’
- Canon Dr Sanjee Perera, Former Archbishops’ Advisor on Minority EthnicAnglican Concerns for the CofE
- The Revd Dr Evie Vernon, Hon Assistant Curate, St Mildred’s Croydon, Trustee of Inclusive Church, Former Theological Advisor to USPG